17 February 2008

Four minus One

Chamber Music and Tex-Mex

Yes, I'm a Texan. Why is that hard for people to believe? At work when freinds find this out they seem confused and shocked. "Where's your accent?" It comes out every now and again, when I ride the bull and Gilley's or go two-steppin' with the nearest stud in a cowboy hat and Tony Lamas. Seriously, a lot of things I thought were terribly tacky Texas clichés are things I now love, perhaps in some sadly nostalgic way. First thing I need when in SA - Tex-Mex food. Panchitos was a must - I got the house breakfast taco along with a migas. Pappasitos was very, very crowded so Dad and I ate at the bar - I had tacos al carbon and sweet tea, Dad had the quail which was fabulous! Also went to Los Barrios on Blanco and Brown's. That should suffice for a few weeks in NYC.

San Antonio's Chamber music is one of the cultural touchstones that keeps my dad enjoying life in a Texas city. He often head to Houston and Austin for other options like opera but he still enjoys music and socializing in his hood.

I loved when the ticket seller asked me if I was a student! Sure, her age was 60+ and I was a good few decades younger than the typical audience member but still, I'll take a compliment when I can get it.

Due to flight delays, the quartet was a trio for the first set and the program had to be rearranged. Luckily the fourth soon arrived. My favorite was Lowell Liebermann's String Quartet No. 4, Op. 103 (2007). It was ecelctic, modern, and had the most interesting use of silence and pauses which really gave the transitions a wondrous feel.

And in true Texas style, we ran into the parents of friends of mine who live in NYC. I do like that. I left Texas but Texas never left me.

No comments: