27 June 2011

Blueberry Kuchen

Confession - I'm a chef only when the bargains or bounty call. This time it was the Friday organic blueberry sale at Whole Foods. Time to make blueberry kuken (that's the way it's spelled on her recipe). Mom has a great recipe I think she picked up when living in Germany. Maybe I should check on that family legend. But I don't want to find out it can from some 1960s issue of Good Housekeeping. I decided to use corn flour for the crust. I got it from Philipsburg Manor in the Hudson Valley and it didn't absorb the liquids as well as white wheat flour so I used that to firm it up. Overall the results were FABULOUS! I'm sticking with corn flour in the future. I t turned out crisp and flaky, blueberries sweet but slightly tart. Brought it into work and it went quickly at our group meeting. Need a bigger spring pan :)

No comments: