19 January 2015

2015 reboot

Time to start writing again. Sad to notice my last post was about Chai. She was so amazing as a companion and pet. I probably hung on too long, finally making the final decision to put her to sleep not long after that post. I even regretted the decision, feeling the loss so excruciatingly. But after a few months, it hits that those feelings were all about me, not about her and her suffering. Bleck. And during the grief, I make stupid choices. I now have a hideous plaster cast of smoosh prints that are suppose to be her paws?!? What was I thinking?!!! Almost as bad and sappy as that Rainbow Bridge poem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your posts about your beloved kitty. I am currently dealing with the almost exact problems with my 18 yr old cat. The lump is growing larger by the day. His behavior is exactly how you described, and I am a complete mess over the entire situation. We have to remember the long lives we got with them! Thank you again for sharing your love of your animal as it helped me to know that my handsome man is not alone in his struggle. God bless you!

Sheathen said...

I too have an 18 year old cat (must be the age of descent) who has a very similar condition, only on the left side of her face. She had a tooth removed yesterday, and x-rays showed a mass, which vet said is probably cancer. She (Isis) is tiny, maybe 6 lbs., and had been pawing at her face, stepping in her food in the process and making a mess. Cleaning her up afterwards is quite the ordeal.

I totally understand the pain and grief. Her brother was put to sleep about a year and a half ago, and I cried for weeks over him. I too have the (supposedly his) paw print, and a little box containing (supposedly) his ashes. Even though it may be dubious, I will do the same thing with my Icy. I completely understand your absolute love for your kitty.

I already brought her back from near death in February (syringe fed her and the whole 9 yards), and it was a miracle that she even bounced back. It is very difficult to know when to let them go, especially when, ostensibly, they seem fine. However, in our hearts we just know when it's time.

Thanks for sharing and confirming that we are not just "crazy cat people"!